A Very Dowitcher Thanksgiving
Ah, Thanksgiving! That wonderful time of year where you pull on your largest, comfiest pants and settle in for a full day of gluttony — oh, and giving thanks for the good things in life, of course.
Here at Dowitcher Designs we have a lot to be thankful for. Our clients, for one. Our lively office view onto State Street here in Santa Barbara, for another. And dessert. We really, really like dessert.
But it occurred to us recently that we don’t appreciate our namesake, the dowitcher, as often as we should. And we should, because the dowitcher is a cool little shorebird that migrates south from Alaska and Canada every year. During the winter they can be spotted along the shorelines of our local beaches. Their long, thin beaks make them easily recognizable.
So what would a dowitcher be thankful for this week?
- Sand crabs. They’re delicious!
- Soft grasses. The best for sleeping.
- Long snowbird holidays. Santa Barbara is the perfect place to spend the colder months!
- Egalitarian parenting. Male dowitchers are often left in charge of raising chicks. That probably means a lot of frozen pizzas for dinner, we’re guessing.
- Dowitchers aren’t turkeys. Enough said.
What are you thankful for this holiday?